Friday, April 3, 2009

The Cost of Home Education


Over the years I have had several folks tell me that Sonlight is too expensive and that they could never afford it, so they trudge on using workbooks or going to the library. It is true that homeschooling isn't free, but I do think it is important to think about where you want to invest your money.



I was fortunate that I found Sonlight at the beginning of our homeschooling experience. Since I graduated one last year, I have every core that Sonlight offers and my expenses for my other children are very minimal since there are so few consumables with Sonlight. Yes, I made the initial investment of the cores, but once they are purchased there is little needed after that.



My husband is a pastor of a small church, so we have never had a lot of "extra income," but Sonlight was one thing I didn't want to cut back on. Some of the things I did to help pay for our Sonlight was to take on extra jobs (did you know election judges in our county make $150 a day?), cash in aluminum cans, sell things online, and cut back wherever possible. Yes, that meant we didn't eat out a lot, or have a lot of new things, but I was able to give my kids the education that I wanted them to have, using a curriculum that I truly believed in. Other folks have used their income tax check, or budgeted for it monthly. Sonlight also offers an option to make your payments over several months for a small fee.



However you pay for your homeschooling materials, the time to start planning for it is now!

No comments:

Post a Comment